If you want to become a Volunteer Facilitator, please upload a cover letter and resume on careers online (job posted under “UBC tandem Volunteer Facilitator“) or email us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UBC tandem Language Learning Program is currently seeking dynamic individuals to join our team for the 2020/2021 school year as virtual Volunteer Facilitators. Deadline to apply is September 16th, 2020!
Responsibilities & Activities:
- With a facilitation partner, coordinate and co-facilitate a weekly, virtual social/event
- Note these socials are meant to engage participants in activities and will begin after applicants are paired (end of September/Beginning of October)
- Foster a sense of community during your event/social – motivate dialogue between participants, ensure comfort and safety during events, navigate issues that may arise during event
- Ensure engagements are running smoothly and that conflicts are resolved appropriately
- incorporate any creative ideas you have for language exchange
- Promote the tandem principles in events while also emphasizing that every language is valuable and equal.
- Collect feedback from participants for review at the conclusion of each event
- Maintain constant communication with the Program Coordinators and contribute to enhancing and expanding the UBC tandem program.
- You will organize/plan and co-facilitate a weekly 1 – 1.5 hour social
- There is a training session as well as some meetings that we ask you to attend, which may occasionally increase your weekly time commitment to 7 hours total.
- Must be available for a training happening mid-September
Skill and Knowledge Students will Gain
- Gain experience in a less traditional foreign language methodology (i.e. outside the classroom)
- Expand and enrich facilitators’ own classroom learning and/or teaching
- Gain intercultural and language experience
- Develop relationships and receive support/resources from the tandem facilitators and staff
- Virtual Facilitation skills
- Have the opportunity to participate in the academic research that is currently going on around tandem
- Learn a lot of languages from a lot of students.
- Dedication to organizing and executing a social
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an interest in interacting with tandem participants.
- Punctuality and organizational skills; basic skills of virtual platforms such as zoom
- Experience working with diverse backgrounds and an interest in different languages and cultures
- Creativity and willingness to have fun!